No-one wants to go into work and be exposed to dust, dirt, germs and disease.
To maintain a productive workforce, it's essential to ensure the spaces where they operate are clean and tidy. But where should you start?
Whether strip lighting or desktop lamps, light fittings - including switches and the bulbs themselves – are often neglected when it comes to a deep clean. Using a damp, cloth gently wipe the bulb clean followed by a microfiber cloth to help dry and polish the bulbs. The rest of the light can be cleaned with a disinfectant and dry, clean cloth.
Plants are a welcome addition to most workplaces, but they also gather dust like a magnet. If you’re unable to leave the plants in the rain for a short shower, then use a small amount of washing up liquid in water to gently clean the leaves.
We’re not just talking about doors in and out of your workplace. Think microwave handles, kettles and coffee machines. Even in smaller companies, employees use the microwave more than 30 times or more a day, from warming that morning muffin to nuking someone’s lunch. That’s a lot of potentially dirty hands.
Inside the microwave
Nobody’s favourite job, but a truly essential one. Contrary to popular belief, microwaves don’t actually kill bacteria, heat does. Microwave oven interiors hide a combination of meat and veg particles, creating a perfect nest for bacteria. Germs need warmth, food and moisture to multiply and have you ever looked at the top of the inside of a microwave that hasn’t been cleaned for a while? Say no more.
Your mobile and your office phones are both the perfect place for bacteria to live. Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and swab the area around the button, the receiver and the mouthpiece. Then, spray a microfiber cloth with disinfectant, and wipe the entire phone down including the body and the entire receiver.